Deposing Dictators

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Aug 14 16:51:49 CEST 2001

Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> writes:
> But never delude yourself. This language isn't YOURS. It's
> THEIRS.

Note that by the terms of the license anyone is perfectly free to
begin maintaining their own fork of the Python source, as Christian
Tismer, the Alice group, and (I assume) the VPython group have done.
This is the whole point of free software, that if the people running
the project go insane and start taking it in a direction no one else
wants to go, the users can say "no thanks" and take the code in a
different direction.

However, doing that is by no means trivial; once you've take the code
changed division, or classes, or curly braces to your satisfaction,
now you've got to keep the docs up-to-date, and fix bugs in the
standard library, and fix build and installer bugs, and maintain a Web
site.  The community, and the python-dev gang, simply have to decide
if it's worth doing that.

--amk                                          (www.amk.ca)
Men of action, I notice, are rarely humble, even in situations where
action of any kind is a great mistake, and masterly inaction is called
for.
    -- Robertson Davies, _The Table Talk of Samuel Marchbanks_