Advice for imaging

Richard Jones richard at bizarsoftware.com.au
Tue Aug 21 21:39:01 EDT 2001

On Wednesday 22 August 2001 11:17, Tom Harris wrote:
> I have to do some quick prototyping on some image processing algorithms.
> The requirements are to read in a large 16 bit per pixel image, do stuff to
> it in various ways, and then compute various metrics on the result. The
> purpose of this is to optimise an algorithm. I have libraries  for
> accessing and loading/saving the images already written in C++.

Take a look at the Python Imaging Library - it plays well with lots of image
formats, and writing your own decoder is possible using helper functions
already present in the library. Also, PIL plays well with NumPy I hear, so
any really complex computations can be done there (note that PIL already
caters for a lot of common imaging processing already).

   http://www.pythonware.com/

It's cool - we use it a LOT :)

      Richard