Any comments? My draft of a new PEP.

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Aug 17 13:19:19 EDT 2001

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> I agree. But they should IMHO reserve any keywords they might possible use in
> future versions in a bunch. This would avoid from __future__ kludges and reduce
> the temptation of "clever" reusing of existing keywords.

Of course, if an unforseen new feature appears that doesn't match any of the
"reserved" keywords, there will then be an even stronger temptation to misuse one
of those reserved words instead of deciding what will be the clearest and most
descriptive.

I do agree, though, that massive overloading of a few keywords is at least as bad
as language bloat caused by adding too many keywords.  It's a delicate balance to
find.  My only problem with reserving keywords in advance, is that there's no real
way to *know* in advance what is likely to be a good (needed) keyword.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International