A survey of Python IDEs - Summary (Long)

Brian Kelley bkelley at wi.mit.edu
Mon Aug 27 10:48:41 EDT 2001

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

>As for my personal preferences - since I was forced to learn XEmacs around
>March, I've grown accustomed to it, and use it for Python, C++, Java, sgml
>and html editing... And I do start Qt Designer from XEmacs to design dialog
>windows ;-).

I have to agree with this.  I generally use glade or Qt Designer to
generate xml stubs for GUI's and write the controller code in xemacs. By
the way xemacs for windows works like a champ as well, xemacs for any
MAC OS before OS X is painful and I don't recommend it.

Perhaps the best reason is that xemacs starts a new python process
during every run so you don't have to worry about reloading modified
modules.  Quiting a locked up GUI is as easy as hitting ctrl-G a couple
of times.  The turn around time for development is pretty staggeringly
fast.  Easily on par with any combined IDE I have ever used (which isn't
much actually)

Of course the learning curve for emacs/xemacs is pretty staggeringly slow :)

Brian Kelley
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research