Emacs? VIM!

Adam 'Vonlia' Seyfarth adam.seyfarth at home.com
Wed Aug 8 13:30:17 EDT 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Alex Martelli wrote:

> "Adam 'Vonlia' Seyfarth" <adam at home.com> wrote in message
> news:Pine.LNX.4.33.0108080948310.2034-100000 at cc489744-a...
> > Hi pythoners,
> > You Emacs users, you've been boasting about "X/Emacs's Python
> > mode".  First of all, you said you didn't like Vi because it was modal.
> > Secondly, Vim has a Python environment.  Ie, with vim you can get syntax
> > highlighting for Python, and automatic indenting for Python.  What more
>
> I don't see why you're trying to fire up an editor flamewar

Yes, I wasn't thinking at all.  I am *really* sorry.  I wish I could
take back this message, I was a total jerk.  Don't worry about
responding to my rants, I have realized I was terribly wrong about
sending such a trollish message.  _Some_ of my other message was
(supposed to be) humor, but now that I read it agian, it is just mean.
Sorry!

> here (isn't comp.editors more appropriate for that?), but,
> moreover, you missed the MOST important Vim feature -- you
> can *SCRIPT* it in Python (not to slight Emacs Lisp, but,
> this IS c.l.python...:-).  Syntax features for Python are a
> dime a dozen these days, but I don't think all that many
> editors accept Python as their scripting language (you do
> have to compile Vim specifically with Python-scripting
> enabled, though -- a given pre-built binary might not
> have that option selected:-).

(Emacs Lisp is a nifty language, but Python takes the cake) True, I
should have said something like that.  I have Python enabled, but Python
really isn't very important for an editor.  It takes a bit of time to
get at the Vim commands...

> > could you want?  (Note:  I love Vim, please don't attack me for slightly
> > insulting Emacs, I do know that Emacs has a HUGE amount of useful
> > features)
>
> More than just about *any* other single program on the
> planet, I suspect (but that won't sway us old vi-lovers,
> particularly now that Oualline has a book out specifically
> on VIM...!-).

(Do you mean that Emacs has 'More than just about *any* other single
program on the planet', or what else people could want?)  Another
response informed me that Emacs+Python is spiffier than I thought!  I
guess I thought there was an entire web-page devoted to Emacs's Python
mode, when Vim's was just as good, but Emacs's Python mode is better
than Vim's, so I have no more complaints.

Once again I AM SORRY!

--
     singing person: ``There's nothing quite as wonderful as money,
     There's nothing quite as beautiful as cash...''

    /||  Adam Seyfarth <http://members.home.net/adam.seyfarth/>  ||\
   /«||  <mailto:cloud at users.sf.net>   <http://www.majik3d.org>  ||»\
   \«||  <http://tuxaqfh.sf.net>        <http://tuxkart.sf.net>  ||»/
    \||  <http://vim.sf.net>           <http://www.majik3d.org>  ||/