Dumb python questions

Gareth McCaughan Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
Sun Aug 19 18:40:11 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:

[someone else:]
> > in portable C.  Python's arithmetic is around 100x faster than
> > perl's Math::BigInt.
[Alex:]
> Interesting -- I guess (and hope, because competition is what
> keeps everybody on their toes:-) that some devoted Perlist is
> already busy recoding their big-int module for performance?-)

A few weeks ago there was a discussion about benchmarking,
in which I mentioned that Python's longs are far faster than
Perl's Math::BigInt. Someone mailed me to say that recent
versions of Perl let you choose between several implementations
of Math::BigInt, including one based on gmp. That 100x difference
may be out of date...

Gareth McCaughan  Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
.sig under construc