'python' Bash command doesn't link to 2.1.1

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Mon Aug 13 20:12:48 EDT 2001

In article <3B786F77.1F6B54EE at btinternet.com>, root
<t.scrace at btinternet.com> writes:

| Hello, I've decided to use Python as my first programming language (as
| per advice at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html ) and
| I've run into a problem during installation.  My Linux (Linux PPC 2000)
| came packaged with Python 1.5.2 but I thought I'd upgrade to the latest
| version before I got started.  I unpacked the download and followed all
| the instructions in the README (./configure then make) and everything
| seemed to go fine.

you need to follow the instructions a little further along :)

(hint: look for the section titled "Installing".)

even then though your shell may find the python version that
came with your os first, depending on whether your installation prefix
binary directory is in the path before /usr/bin or not. so you
may have to adjust your shell search path. (it is in the $PATH
variable in bash.)

  -- erno