Howling (was Re: Case insensitivity)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Aug 7 12:37:42 EDT 2001

In article <memo.20010803215845.16469d at digitig.compulink.co.uk>,
Tim Rowe <digitig at cix.co.uk> wrote:

>When you want to fix "mistakes", why do you think you get howls of
>protest? It's because for /some/ of us those are not mistakes at all,
>they're Just The Way It Should Be.

That's not the only reason for the howls of protest.  I agree with you
WRT case sensitivity, but the vast majority of howls over division (by
number of people, not number of posts) had to do with compatibility
concerns.  The howls over "print >>" had to do with sheer ugliness.  And
so on.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"activist for accuracy"  --SJM