Python & wxGTK & wxPython on Solaris 2.6

Doug Farrell writeson at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 3 10:31:18 EDT 2001

Hi,

I'm a relative newbie to Unix/Linux, so please forgive me if I'm asking a
really obvious question. I'm tying to install Python, wxGTK and wxPython on
my Sun Ultra 5 running Solaris 2.6 at work. Here's what I've got installed
so far:

gcc     2.95.3   -   from www.sunfreeware.com
gnu make         -  from www.sunfreeware.com
gtk+   1.2.10    -  from www.sunfreeware.com
glib     1.2.10    -  from www.sunfreeware.com
Python-2.1.1    -  from www.python.org

I've got this set up in /usr/local/bin   etc., etc.

Now I've downloaded wxGTK version 2.3.1 and have tried to build/install it
prior to installing wxPython. The problem I'm having is this; when I run
./configure --with-gtk for wxGTK it runs for quite awhile checking things
out, but then exits with a

setup.h not changed
config.status: test: argument expected

I'm not sure what this means or where I should look to resolve the problem.
I would really appreciate any help or guidance on this. I'm trying to make
Python the scripting language of choice at work over Perl, and I'd really
like to show off wxPython as a way to convince people and as a useful tool.

Thanks in advance,
Doug Farrell