Copy constructors

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Aug 13 05:58:22 EDT 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Rainer Deyke wrote:

> "Glyph Lefkowitz" <glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.997671441.2464.python-list at python.org...
> > Let me underscore this once, and put it in the terms I think of it in:
> > with these changes, you will be introducing the worst design error of C++
> > into Python.  Indeed, the _central_ problem with C++ is that it always
> > prefers efficiency over dynamism, even in its so-called "high level"
> > features.
>
> I strongly disagree here.  Quite aside from the efficiency issue, C++'s lack
> of dynamism is a feature, not a bug.  (This does not change the fact that
> C++ is an unholy mess.)  Such a feature would not be appropriate for Python,
> however.

Perhaps I should have put it differently -- the central design error of
C++ *as a high level language*.  (The design failures as a low-level
language are quite discrete, of course.)  Python is certainly not and will
never be suitable for low-level, let alone "systems" programming, so yes,
such a feature is inappropriate.

                     @ t w i s t e d m a t r i x  . c o m
                     http://twistedmatrix.com/users/glyph