Steps to install Python in debug mode

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Thu Aug 30 12:54:20 EDT 2001

On 30 Aug 2001 06:54:26 -0700, Irina.Kotlova at lhsl.com (Irina Kotlova)
wrote:

>I already have Python 2.1 Release installed. If I compile "pythoncore"
>and then "python" from pcbuild and copy Python21_d.lib, Python21_d.dll
>and Python21_d.exe into the appropriate places, then I still can't
>make Python work in debug mode.

Hi, what does it mean: doesn't work in debug mode? Can you start
python21_d but get an error? Which kind?

If you can start it, do you get an import error for some module? This
is probably cause by a missing debug build of an imported DLL (for all
.pyds you import, you also need to have a debug version (foo_d.pyd) if
you run python21_d.

You should probably copy the .pdb files, too (python21_d.pdb,
python21_d.pdb) since they contain the debug information (at least if
you have compiled using MSVC). I don't know how this works in cygwin
but I assume there the debug info is merged in the DLL.