Question about indentation and bugs

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at
Fri Aug 24 06:13:35 CEST 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 02:55:30PM +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
> There is one thing to keep in mind, though: NEVER MIX TABS AND SPACES IN
> INDENTATION.  A given file should be indented using either tabs only or
> spaces only.

Editor hints for making sure this happens:

I have the following lines in my ~/.vimrc:

    set list
    set listchars=tab:»¿,trail:·
    set expandtab tabstop=8
    set softtabstop=4 shiftwidth=4

In addition to making sure that I don't ever insert tabs, this displays all
tabs as very obnoxious looking punctuation, so even if they manage to sneak in
through someone else being careless, I can correct them before it's really a

In my ~/.xemacs/custom.el, I have:

         '(whitespace-mode t nil (whitespace-mode)))

         '(whitespace-blank-face ((t nil))))

which (assuming you have the same defaults I have) makes all tabs show up in
bright yellow, but spaces don't look odd.

Anyone else have similiar settings for different editors?

                     @ t w i s t e d m a t r i x  . c o m