Single Instance of app

Tim Hammerquist tim at
Tue Aug 28 01:54:15 CEST 2001

Me parece que Tim Peters < at> dijo:
> [Tim Hammerquist]
> > While I'm at it, I've never actually seen (nor needed, thus far) Python
> > code to get an atomic lock on a file.  What's the idiom in Python?
> I'm not sure exactly what's meant by "atomic lock on a file", but you can
> study the std module for the excruciating dance needed to create
> temp files safely.

I just meant 'atomic' as far as avoiding the race condition. The
tempfile module uses the ((fd)?open|close) functions in the os module. I
would assume these are closer to the system calls like fopen() and
fdopen() than is the built-in open()?

Thanks again!

C combines all the power of assembly language with all
the ease of use of assembly language.
    -- trad