Upgrading Python Breaks Extensions; Fix proposal

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Wed Aug 29 09:53:43 EDT 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Robin Becker wrote:

> In article <mailman.999084703.13690.python-list at python.org>, Ignacio
> Vazquez-Abrams <ignacio at openservices.net> writes
> >
> >No, because if a program depends on 2.0 working a certain way then it would
> >break anyways with 2.1, so we'd be back where we were.
> >
> well then it would break in unix as well so there'd be no advantage.

No, because in Unix the .so's link back to the embedding executable which has
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/libpythonX.Y.a linked into it and all the symbols from it
exported. I still can't see a good reason why some sort of mechanism can't be
implemented the same way for Win32 via DS.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>