Language Niches (long)

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 03:30:55 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.996809786.30007.python-list at python.org>, Paul
Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com> writes
>Rich Holm wrote:

>> I don't want to start a flame fest, but...
>>
>> Where did you hear this?  It was Borland that popularized the C++
>> on Windows paradym.  Microsoft was WAS behind the curve at the time.
>> The Borland class libraries were/are vastly superior to MFC.  Too
>> bad they lost out in the end.
>
>My impression was that C++ was a relatively unimportant language
>(relative to C) until Microsoft adopted it. That gave it a huge boost
>and essentially forced most C programmers to become C++ programmers.

well I have VC++ and it's a pretty good C development environment. I'm
fairly sure it doesn't pass any recognised C tests though. I don't think
anyone's forced by M$ to use C++ and I'm fairly sure C represents a lot
of the internals of Win32.
--
Robin Becker