Deposing Dictators

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 2 08:58:08 EDT 2001

"Robin Becker" <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:T9N1IXAoGJa7EwVF at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk...
> That makes python's development somewhat less than democratic. We get

TOTALLY un-democratic, I should hope -- if I wanted a horse
designed by a committee, I'd be over in comp.lang.perl, ya'know.

> At some point the DFL will make a decision that's wrong. I suppose the

It's already happened -- "print>>bah,humbug" *IS* part of Python, today.

> herd will have another group hug and accept it.

No way.  I've given "print>>blotch,horror" a try as fair as the fact
that it curls my blood allows, and I still detest it just as much as
when I first saw it.  So what?  I'm not gonna fork Python over this,
obviously -- Python still gives me by far enough value to pay for
the extra dental work needed by all the teeth-gnashing that the
detested "print>>tippedoverchevron" causes me, though I do plan to
send Guido the dentist's bill, obviously.

Alex