wxPython Or Tkinter Advise PLEASEEEEEEEEE

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Fri Aug 17 05:30:22 EDT 2001

Timothy Docker <timd at macquarie.com.au> wrote in message news:<m4iae10rgln.fsf at macquarie.com.au>...

> Although I use suns C++ compiler for local development, I alway use gcc
> for compiling python related stuff. I have a "sandbox" type of
> environment that has all the gnu tools (gnu-make,bash etc) on the path
> in front of the sun equivalents, in order to get stuff building in
> the way the developers would have.

I can recommend this with certain open source projects, and in my
opinion it's rather nice to be able to use bash instead of the
standard Solaris shells as well.

> > Even Python itself doesn't compile out of the box on Solaris using gcc,
> > only using Sun's cc, which is rather a pity.
>
> Hmmm. It did so perfectly for me, on sol2.7 with gcc2.95.2.

I never had any problems installing Python on Solaris with gcc. Is
this Python 2.1 or 2.2a? If so, then you're doing something I never
got to trying.

> Which gcc version? Which solaris version? What was you problem?

I think the biggest thing to get right in building wxPython is the
combination of compatible packages. wxPython will often require a
particular version of wxGTK, and this may in turn require particular
versions of gtk and glib. On Solaris, there are additional issues
which are conveniently summarised on this Web page I just found:

  http://home.t-online.de/home/hburde/s7-tips.html#wxPython

One of them - the --enable-permissive flag for gcc - is to get around
Sun's "broken" X11 headers, and can be quite a common thing to specify
when building things on Solaris.

Paul