windows development in python?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 17:24:07 EDT 2001

"Steinar" <st-aude at online.no> wrote in message
news:997286691.890518 at news2.cybercity.dk...
> Hi!
>
> I have made a lot of small programs in python, but how do I make windows
> programs?

If you mean programs specifically interacting with Microsoft Windows'
features, you could download from www.activestate.com their win32all
extension package, install it, and buy and study the book on the
subject by Hammond and Robinson, published by O'Reilly.

If you mean programs with a graphical user interface, you have many
choices -- most widespread is Tkinter (if you've used the IDLE development
environment that comes with Python, you've seen Tkinter at work, as
IDLE uses Tkinter), growing in popularity wxPython, also popular PyQt,
PyGtk and other toolkits yet.  I suggest you start with Tkinter, and
specifically with /F's introduction that you can find at
http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/.

Alex