Python versions (was Re: os.execl())

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Aug 28 01:50:54 EDT 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:07:15 +1000, Richard Jones <richard at bizarsoftware.com.au> wrote:
>On Tuesday 28 August 2001 08:27, Mats Wichmann wrote:
>> Unfortunately Red Hat have recently decided that they won't change
>> major versions of key packages on minor Red Hat releases... so we're
>> stuck with Python 1.5.2 as the default until, oh, about RedHat 8.2.
>>
>> Folks need to be told that Linux is wonderful, but Red Hat doesn't
>> necessarily prove that in their choice of what to bundle...
>
>Mandrake 8.0, a red-hat-alike (which I find significantly nicer than Red Hat
>from a non-sysadmin user installation perspective) shipped with python 2.0
>some months ago. Mandrake's point-zero releases seem eminently usable...

I've put Mandrake 8.0 on four machines with absolutely no
problems so far -- and an 8.1 beta is out.  My main development
machines are still at RH 6.2.  RH 6.0 was pretty much unusable,
and even though I waited for 6.1 before upgrading from 5.2,
there were still too many problems.  I'm this -><- close to
switching my devleopment system from RH to Mandrake even though
I'd still have to test under RH before releasing...

>I'm currently running 2.0 at home in a bog-standard install and
>2.1.1 from the Mandrake cooker at work. No complaints in the
>months I've been using them both, and I'm a full-time Python
>developer.
>
>I think that people need to know that Red Hat is not Linux.

It's what the vast majority of my customers seem to be running,
so it's the one that matters the most.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  As a FAD follower,
                                  at               my BEVERAGE choices are