Wake-on-LAN via Python?

mike mike at wakerly.com
Tue Aug 14 20:10:33 EDT 2001

Hey Bablos,

That's an interesting question -- I've always been looking for something
interesting to do with 'Wake-on-LAN'. (Not that I've found it...)

Anyway, you have to send the 'magic packet' on the wire such that your
target computer will see the sequence. The magic packet can be any
message... be it an ethernet frame, or part of a TCP/IP or UDP payload.
It is merely:

	6 bytes: FF FF FF FF FF FF
	..followed by...
	16 repetitions of the 6-byte MAC address

Neat, huh? And they got a patent for it! A better description is at:
http://www.amd.com/products/npd/overview/20212.html

Cheers,
Mike