Another two examples of using changing classes

Tom Harris tomh at optiscan.com
Tue Aug 14 03:02:56 EDT 2001

Fascinating, Captain	.

Coming from a C++ background I did this in Python by a class having a member
instance of a proxy class that was changed to according to what it was
talking to (like example 2). Pattern junkies refer to this as the State
pattern, the Patterns Book defines it as "Allow an object to alter its
behaviour when its internal state changes. The object will appear to change
its state.". In Python I can now see how to code this by the class _really_
changing its class at runtime. The involved example in the Patterns book on
the implementation of the State pattern becomes a few lines in Python.

This is similar to the Python implementation of the Factory pattern which
collapses it to a single line. Should Python be known as "The language where
Patterns become Idioms?"

 Tom Harris, Software Engineer
 Optiscan Imaging, 15-17 Normanby Rd, Notting Hill, Melbourne, Vic 3168,
Australia
 email tomh at optiscan.com     ph +61 3 9538 3333  fax +61 3 9562 7742

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately,and inform us of the mistake by
return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
email is strictly prohibited.
Also, please note that opinions expressed in this email are those of the
author, and are not necessarily those of OptiScan Pty Ltd