Art of Unit Testing

Boudewijn Rempt boudewijn at tryllian.com
Fri Aug 17 04:00:46 EDT 2001

Jesse W wrote:

> I hope, as I said above, that this method will allow me to finish
> various projects I have started and had to abandon because I got
> stuck in binds I could not specifically understand or find out how to
> resolve.  My doubts lie with the thought that it is very difficult to
> figure out what the requirements of a program will be before you
> write the program, and will this method make programming into a
> tiresome, irritating task, even if I can write these bigger programs?
> My question to you all is this:  Do you have any suggestions on
> how to deal with learning to use unit testing in this way, or examples
> of setting up games with this kind of unit testing, or GUI programs?
> Really, any thoughts or comments you might have about this form of
> unit testing, or how to learn to use it, would be very appreciated.

I've found little value in writing unittests for GUI apps (and that
includes games), but lots of use for unittests in the underlying libraries.
I use unittests even when writing examples for my PyQt book, and I've
included a chapter on unit testing, which Stephen Figgins rather liked,
even in the draft form
(http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2001/07/05/pythonnews.html).

--
Boudewijn | http://www.valdyas.org