Qt licensing hell!

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 24 01:18:32 EDT 2001

Chris Farley <nbrewer at visi.com> wrote:
> I would like to develop an opensource cross-platform GUI application
> in PyQt. I would like to distribute a Windows version of the application
> bundled with all the .DLLs needed to run the program, including the Qt
> library. Is it legal to do this? Here's part of the license that is
> giving me headaches.

>   * You may copy and distribute the Software in unmodified form
>   provided that the entire package, including - but not restricted
>   to - copyright, trademark notices and disclaimers, as released
>   by the initial developer of the Software, is distributed.

> Does this mean I can't distribute just the .DLL, and that I need to
> distribute the entire non-commercial version of Qt? Ack!

My understanding is that you can use the gratis version of Qt for
Windows - you can package your Python source, the PyQt binaries, the
Qt dll and perhaps Python itself in one big package and distribute it.
You can't distribute just Python bytecode; you must also make available
the Python source. You don't need to include either the Qt or the PyQt
source. You cannot use your app in a commercial setting yourself, but
people who download it can.  --

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://www.valdyas.org