Python Books - Which one?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed Aug 29 09:36:42 EDT 2001

"Paul Lim" <paullim at cyberway.com.sg> wrote in message
news:3B8CF4D9.B9D0D4 at cyberway.com.sg...
> Hi to all
>
> I am a newbie in Python programming. I hope the guru can adivse me.
> I would like to acquire a book for my python programming. There are
> generally three main books in my mind
>
> 1. Programming Python by O'Reilly
> 2. The Quick Python Book

Hmmm, you say 3 and list 2 -- that's like the Monty Python
Spanish Inquisition sketch in reverse, right?

> Can anyone recommend to me which is better?
> Or is there any better book out there?
> I am looking for a book that is reader friendly but contain substantial
> material that will last me quite some time.

"Programming Python", 2nd edition, is excellent, and *HUGE* (I
do mean huge!), so it WILL "last you quite some time".  On the
other hand it's not oriented to the newbie: for that, O'Reilly
proposes its "Learning Python" instead -- right now it's still,
alas, about Python 1.5.2, but despite this it's an excellent
learnign resource.

As for "Quick", I personally like it -- doesn't go as deep
as "Learning" into each subject it covers, but that lets it
cover a wider compass, so the trade-off isn't absurd -- a
matter of individual tastes.

If you're new to programming in general, Gauld's "Learning to
Program", Addison-Wesley (much of its material is also online)
is an excellent resource -- it's Python-centered, although it
also mentions other languages more peripherally.  Other books
that are introductory about Python assume you have some other
programming experience in some other language.

Alex