SSL_connect error in Python 2.1.1 on IRIX 6.5

Albert Chin-A-Young china at foo.com
Fri Aug 3 02:10:29 EDT 2001

Francis Tilney <ftilney at commercetone.com> wrote:
> I built Python 2.1.1 on an SGI machine with SSL enabled.
> However when I tried to connect to an https connection I got an error.
> (Another similar test suggested that the ssl error was error 1
> (SSL_ERROR_SSL)).
> Traceback is below.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

SSL support is not going to work without /dev/random which is not
available on IRIX. So, you need to run PRNGD
(http://www.aet.tu-cottbus.de/personen/jaenicke/postfix_tls/prngd.html)
as a replacement for /dev/random and configure Modules/socketmodule.c
to call RAND_egd to set things up (you set the environment variable
RANDFILE before a urlopen). The patches we use against Python 2.1.1
that enables SSL support with RAND_egd is at:
  ftp://ftp.thewrittenword.com/packages/free/source/python-2.1.1

--
albert chin (china at thewrittenword dot com)