How to use python to automate installation of non-python programs?

Bela Evans bevans at wested.org
Wed Aug 1 19:15:07 EDT 2001

Let's say you have to install some program on a number of machines
(pcs and macs) - msoffice, adobe acrobat reader, norton antivirus,
etc.  It's easy enough to have a python script start an install
program, but does python have any interface to allow you to
automatically run through an install program?

What I'm thinking would be needed is a kind of keyboard and mouse
entry macro recorder.  For example, on 1st screen of install program,
press enter, 2nd screen, click on customize button, etc.  The python
script would need to focus attention on the install program window and
send keystrokes and mouse clicks to it.  Anyone have experience with
this?  Any pointers to which modules I should look at?  Or is there a
better way to run through install programs?

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas on what I should be looking at...