freeBSD 2.1.1 extension problem

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at
Tue Aug 28 12:19:00 CEST 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Robin Becker wrote:

> In article <WWVECJAoEii7Ewnx at>, Robin Becker <robin at>
> writes

> >I'm guessing this might be some difference in the way the two
> >pythons/distutils were configured.
> Further research says that wchar.h was added to ISO C90 with amendment 1.
> Also it seems that
> mentions wchar.h a lot beginning 2001/may so perhaps Python-2.1.1 package
> has the requirement for wchar.h built in because freeBSD recently added
> wchar.h.
> Looking in the two config.h fiels, I see one with #define HAVE_WCHAR_H 1
> and one without.

If the binary Python package you've installed was built on a newer FreeBSD
(which seems likely from what I've gleaned from your posts) this is not
surprising, as the configure script would have found the errant header on
the newer system.

E-mail: andymac at  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:        |        Australia