Deposing Dictators

Arthur_Siegel at rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel at rsmi.com
Wed Aug 1 18:56:24 EDT 2001

>> Kind of hopeless.

>I don't know what you want, Arthur.  Guido doesn't actually have a time
>machine, and he's not actually a dictator, and the world isn't actually
>perfect in every respect, and Guido's not actually gutless enough to let a
>design error stand forever just to avoid getting flamed.

My posts follows Alex's,  which expresses sentiment quite similar to what I
had expressed early on.  I do not question Guido's design genius.  I do
question
his ability to express his rationale.  I very much dislike the  the "ideology"

behind
IDLE as expressed in the Linux Journal CP4E article, and then end up thinking
quite highly of IDLE.  Go figure.

Leave it to me and we will have Python evoling back into C, so that I can
assure myself we're not coddling anybody.

A C implementation of C.  Good plan,  Art.

>> Kind of hopeless.

>I don't know what you want, Arthur.  Guido doesn't actually have a time
>machine, and he's not actually a dictator, and the world isn't actually
>perfect in every respect, and Guido's not actually gutless enough to let a
>design error stand forever just to avoid getting flamed.

What can I say.

Guido accuses me of flamebaiting.

Paul had written -

> I feel that most of the "noise" on this issue could have been avoided
> had the intentions of the developers been communicated clearly from
> the start.

Gudio responds -

>Much of the initial communication was done by people who hadn't read
>the PEP and misstated the plan (e.g. omitting the transitional period
>or the separate int division operator).  Then others started
>complaining about the poorly laid-out plan -- again without reading
>the PEP.  Typical usenet style -- I don't know how we could have
>avoided this.

That is flamebait, as far as I am concerned.

Unfortunately, as I always will, I took it.

Suffice it to say that one doesn't need to be a usenet crank to
suggest that things could have been handled better and one would hope
that Guido might understand that at this point.

>> I've stopped needing to like him.

>What does affection have to do with any of this?

Even better question . What's it to *me*.

I'll have to get back to you.

ART