Deposing Dictators

Bengt Richter bokr at accessone.com
Thu Aug 2 22:55:43 EDT 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:15:10 +0200, "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Bengt Richter" <bokr at accessone.com> wrote in message
>news:3b68b5ce.1031682601 at wa.news.verio.net...
>> On Wed, 01 Aug 2001 18:04:16 -0700, Paul Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com>
>wrote:
>> [...]
>> OT
>> >"/". Life goes on. Get used to it. I'm told Presidents of the United
>> >States make mistakes and life goes on then too. I have a strong feeling
>> >that if either Python or a country was run by consensus, there would be
>> >more mistakes not less.
>> Hopefully the country (US) is run by consensus of our representatives, but
>
>It's not supposed to be: a simple majority is sufficient when
>several equal representatives are involved (House, Senate,
>Supreme Court) -- the minority does get a voice (dissenting
>opinion, in the SC's case, for example) but while consensus
>may be sought it's surely not required.

Sorry for my abuse of a word with literal meaning ;-/
I meant in the looser sense of general agreement
(in deciding by majority ;-), not unanimity.
You are of course right.

Though "full" is redundant, I stand by my main point:

"I just pray that they never get to where they have a full
consensus that they want to reverse an old decision, and can not do it,
even with all the might of the country at their disposal."