Getting expat compiled properly

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at idi.ntnu.no
Thu Aug 30 04:46:07 EDT 2001

I have managed to compile expat so it works with
Python (2.2a1), but when I try to run cgi scripts now,
they don't work. The reason is that Python can't
find libexpat.so ... I thought this was supposed to
be a static link (with libexpat.a)? How am I supposed
to do this to make it work properly? I've edited
the lines in Modules/Setup -- I can't find any other,
more "Distutils-like" way of doing it... Is there
something else I'm missing? When I use ldd on Python
i see that it's referencing another expat library
than mine... And that one's called libexpat.so...

What's going on here? With all the XML support in
Python 2.2, installing expat (which is a requisite)
really ought to be simple, no? I've even tried
to use the gcc -Wl option to pass the -R option
to the linker (all of which was news to me until
recently)...

- Magnus (stumped)

--

  Magnus Lie Hetland         http://www.hetland.org

 "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in
  it, doesn't go away."           -- Philip K. Dick