PEP 238 (revised)

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at
Sun Aug 5 21:21:27 CEST 2001

Sun, 05 Aug 2001 19:56:21 +0100, Stephen Horne <steve at> pisze:

> In any division process where the dividend is not a multiple of the
> divisor, there will be a remainder involved.
> """
> This seems to imply type. If you are working in the set of reals (or
> rationals, or complex numbers), then any divisor other than zero can
> be multiplied by some definite value to exactly recreate the dividend.

AFAIK "multiple" means integer multiple, independently of the type.
For example 0.6 is a multiple of 0.2, and 0.7 is not.

> For me, -(a/b) == (-a)/b is an *obvious* identity to preserve

For me, only when dealing with division without remainter. It doesn't
necessarily hold for division with remainder. It's an evidence that
there are two concepts called division involved.

 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at