why no ++?

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Tue Aug 14 21:56:17 CEST 2001

Michael Abbott <michael at rcp.co.uk> schrub:

>> (as long as I didn't miss anything)
> LOL.  I expect we're there now: except of course, you have to add the
> proviso that tmp is a new name not already in use

At least it shouldn't be in use in your own local scope, which is
relatively easy to guarantee when you write a function.

> Well, I didn't know the detailed semantics, so it's been quite useful
> to learn how this actually works...

The docs are your friend.

But in most cases, python has a rather intuitive way what happens,

1) Customers cause problems.
2) Marketing is trying to create more customers.
3) Marketing is evil.  (Grand Edwards in comp.lang.python)