Norton AV report on ActiveState build 210 src?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sat Aug 4 01:27:55 EDT 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Paul Prescod wrote:

>Ironically, I got several emails from corporate virus filters indicating
>that this batch file is in fact recognized as a virus. It obviously
>isn't a virus but Norton is getting triggered on a very ordinary bit of
>batch file text. We will obfuscate the text enough to slip by Norton for
>the next release of ActivePython.

Gee... The world is wrong again. Instead of making OS secure a/v companies
scan data for signatures. So Internet now is not clean media it used to
be... This is utterly silly as signatures are added in tens of thousands
each year.

And now imagine that administators who do not know a bit about computers
and antiviruses will forever suspect ActiveState Python distros and the
company are not trustable 'cuase "they have not checked their software
for viruses".

It does also mean in near future every software vendor will need to make
sure it's software doesn't have virus signatures as understood by silly
a/v software...

BTW, no surprise: Norton Antivirus thinks Kaspersky's AVP is a virus ;-)

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Saturday, August 04, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/