Python CGI and multiple forms on a web page

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Sun Aug 19 04:04:07 EDT 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Maan Hamze wrote:

> I have a web page with many separate forms on it.  Each form is associated
> with a Post action that runs the same or a different Python CGI script.  I
> am using the module cgi.py
> For each script, I am using FieldStorage to access a form's elements.
> I want to be sure of the following:
> Does FieldStorage in the CGI script that is being run by submitting Form A
> (remember, the web page has many forms:  A, B, C etc....) apply strictly on
> Form A so that the Dictionary available to me has only the elements of Form
> A?
> I know, the question sounds naive (and it may be), but I want to be sure.
> Thanks,
> Maan

The short answer:

Only the data in the submitted form is sent to the server. The other forms may
as well not exist.

The long answer:

I dug around in the W3C's info about HTML, and although the above is implied,
it's never spelled out explicitly. Take a look if you want:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h17-13.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>