zope setup with @home connection

Vivien M. vivienm at emerald.ith.dyndns.org
Wed Aug 29 20:10:17 EDT 2001

Jason Wisher <jason_wisher at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> If you're looking for a stable name, check out dyndns.org or other services
>> like it that allow you to associate stable names with dynamic addresses.
>> Also, hopefully your server won't get much use.  @home is an asymmetric
>> connection.  Transfer rates from your machine to the net will be about 10x
>> slower than rates to your machine.

> Also check out DNS2Go (http://www.dns2go.com); free, reliable, and
> much cooler than dyndns.

Really?

Let's take each of your points here:
a) Free - last time I checked, our (dyndns.org) dynamic DNS service was free
too. Sure, having something like mydomain.com with us requires donations,
but DNS2Go charges for it too.
b) Reliable - Let's see here... DNS2Go has three DNS servers, all of which
seem to be in the Detroit or neighbouring area, and two of which share the
same UUnet connection. dyndns.org has DNS servers in four locations:
Waltham, MA; Ithaca, NY; Fremont, CA; and London, UK. Not to mention that we
have a public status page at http://www.dyndns.org/status.shtml
c) Cooler? How so? DNS is DNS, plain and simple.

Honestly, I question your agenda, considering you seem to have posted to two
different newsgroups in a short period of time saying the same thing, but I
think the record ought to be set straight.

Vivien

--
Vivien M.
vivienm at dyndns.org