PyInline was Re: probs w/ building python extensions on free Microsoft.NET SDK

Paul Prescod paulp at
Tue Aug 7 19:51:02 CEST 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:
> By far the easiest way to build Python extensions is with the
> distutils, so that's what I think an extension-writing tutorial
> should be based on.

As you may know, the Perl world has historically had an over-complex
solution known as "XS". What many Python-ers may not yet know is that a
new model is becoming quite popular.

Inline won the Best New Module Award at The Perl Conference.

I think it is worth studying to see how the ideas apply to Python. I
convinced one of the two main inline guys (the both worked at
ActiveState for a while) to look into an inline Python (as opposed to
Inline::Python) but he's been distracted for a while so I thought I
would throw the challenge out to the readers of comp.lang.python. Perl
has taken a lead in extension-building simplicity. Anyone out there want
to take it back?

Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.
Python Cookbook!