Python 2.x on Debian stable

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Thu Aug 2 16:46:58 EDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 05:06:10PM +0000, Carl Fink wrote:
> I asked about this on the debian-user mailing list and got no answers
> at all, not a good sign, but:  has anyone installed Python 2.1 or
> later on a Potato system?  There are no .deb files that I can locate
> to do so.
>
> I've installed quite a bit of software outside the Debian packaging
> system, but I'm leery of fiddling with Python because dpkg/apt *uses*
> Python, and if 2.1 breaks dpkg I'm screwed.  So I'm wondering if
> anyone has actual experience and pointers?

You can get a .deb package for ActivePython. This will install by default to
/usr/local/ActivePython-2.x (i.e. it will not overwrite the main system
Python that dpkg is currently using). You can then put
/usr/local/ActivePython-2.x/bin on your PATH before /usr/local/bin and you
will use that instead of the (guessing) Python 1.5.2 version sitting at
/usr/local/bin/python.

If you are scared of Python 2.x breaking dpkg you could make sure to not use
Python 2.x when you run as root (because you only run dpkg as root right).

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePython/

You can get older versions here if you like:
    ftp://ftp.activestate.com/ActivePython/linux/

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com