Compiling Python2.2a1 & losing command-line features

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 03:46:53 EDT 2001

"Paul Johnston" <paul.johnston4 at sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:btJb7.18749$jA2.1557337 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> I have used binary and source-compiled versions of Python.  In every case
> where I use the latter my Python environment loses all its normal niceties
> like backspace, line-repeat, etc.  Is there a setting or configuration
item
> I need to set to get these back?

I think it's necessary and sufficient (on non-Windows platform) to
enable the 'readline' extension (which implies you must have a
working 'readline' library).  On Windows platform, you can make
do with the normal line-editing supplied by CMD.EXE on /NT and
/2000 consoles, or, for something better and/or something that
works on /98 and friends, try Chris Gonnerman's "Alternative
Readline", at:
http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/readline.html

Alex