Beginner's questions

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Sat Aug 4 18:09:46 EDT 2001

Well, I'll have a go at some of your questions...

On 4 Aug 2001 14:02:36 -0700, printers at sendme.cz (Lad) wrote in
comp.lang.python in article
<e34de21e.0108041302.7cd8c416 at posting.google.com>:

:3.Are there any libraries for SMTP, POP3 and NNTP protocols?

Yes:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-smtplib.html
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-poplib.html
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-nntplib.html

:5. What modules , except Tk, can I use for GUI programming with
:Python?

http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.python/python_GUI.html

:6. Is it possible, in Python, send output from a program to a web
:browser directly or in other words display html file in python
:application?

I'm sure there is a way. It is possible to pass a URL to the web browser
and open it in the browser, so it must be possible to do what you are
suggesting. (How about saving the output as a file and passing a URL to
the file to the browser?) Alternatively, you might try looking at Grail
http://grail.sourceforge.net/
and see if some of the code from that project can meet your needs.

:7. Where can I find a available modules list?

http://www.python.org/doc/current/modindex.html

or this view is by category, rather than alphabetical:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/lib.html

Also, lots of useful stuff here:
http://www.vex.net/parnassus/

Here is an interesting resource page:
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

:8. What are best tutorials/books on Python?

Tutorials...these are the ones I recommended to my high school students:
http://www.thinkspot.net/materdei/apcompsci/python/index.html#Tutorials

There are others. Probably some will get suggested here. Here's another
list:
http://www.aota.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=22947#post22947

As for books:
I recommend, for experienced programmers who don't know Python yet:
Core Python Programming by Wesley Chun
after you get your feet wet in Python and are ready to tackle a more
serious book,
Programming Python, 2nd ed. by Mark Lutz (O'Reilly publisher)

:9. Can you give me  examples of large Python application?

http://www.aota.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=22942#post22942

:10. Why do YOU use Python?

I use Python, because it was quick and easy for me to learn and I became
productive in it extremely quickly. I come from a background of Pascal,
C++, VB and a short acquaintance with Fortran a long, long time ago.
Perl, although I'm sure I could tackle it (and eventually will) is such
obfuscated code. Python is readable.

Other Python plusses:
http://www.aota.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=22941#post22941

Read a rave review from a former Perl monk?
http://www.aota.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=22956#post22956

Hope these answer some of your questions.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/