Followup of the compatibility issue of smtplib

Peter Hansen peter at
Mon Aug 6 05:46:07 CEST 2001

> Dirksen Lau wrote:
> As Steve suggested, I run my script in debug mode, but don't find anything
> unusual(the mail still doesn't get to the destination). I attach the dubug
> log below, and please point out the trouble spot:
> send: 'data \015\012'
> reply: '354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>\015\012'
> reply: retcode (354); Msg: Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
> data: (354, 'Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>')
> send: 'achee'
> send: '\015\012.\015\012'

Maybe the server is just being "smart" and knows that it is
pointless to send a message with no valid header tags, and
no valid body!  (Header tags must be of the form "tag: stuff"
and the body is separated from the headers by a blank line.)

I suggest again that you try following *my* suggestion :-)
and connect manually, with Telnet.  Once you can successfully
send a message manually, go back and try to use Python to
generate the same conversation.  Until then, no point blaming
Python when you have no idea who is really at fault...

Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at