List or Dictionairy or neither?

Aahz Maruch aahz at
Thu Aug 23 00:37:08 CEST 2001

[posted & e-mailed; please send responses to the newsgroup]

In article <3B7CED19.2B5C70F1 at>,
Dietmar Lang  <dietmar at> wrote:
>I am currently working on an application that works with a simple, but
>relatively large data structure: a large list, with its items being
>strings, 3-4 lines long each.
>Now the list is shelved and I am accessing its items pretty randomly.
>I've found the access times to be rather slow. So my questions are:

Use a database.
                      --- Aahz  <*>  (Copyright 2001 by aahz at

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"I now regard a fact as a hypothesis that people don't bother to argue
about anymore."  --John Burn, quoted in Lawrence Wright's _Twins_