Beginner's questions

Volucris volucris at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 18:39:04 EDT 2001

"Lad" <printers at sendme.cz> wrote in message
news:e34de21e.0108041302.7cd8c416 at posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> I am a Perl programmer but I miss some things in Perl. For this
> reason I am looking for another, better (if any) programming
> language. Maybe Python would be my choice. Can you please
> answer the following?

First of all, www.python.org is the best place to go. It has everything you
need. Python interpreter, tutorials, docs, etc'

> 1.How well threads are implemented in Python particularly under
> windows?

They are supported, but _how well_ is kind of subjective. Someone with more
experience with threading in other languages might answer this better. Try
the threading module.

> 2.Are there any libraries for working with HTTP protocols that is
> modules that could help download( grab) web pages with GET
> methods and modules for using  also POST method without
> necessity to program these applications with sockets?

Yep, the httplib module.

> 3.Are there any libraries for SMTP, POP3 and NNTP protocols?

Yes, again. The smtplib, poplib and nntplib modules respectivly.

> 4. Is there a program for making executable files from python
> programs?

Yes, py2exe, Freeze and others. I haven't used these, but I hear they're
kind of limited.

> 5. What modules , except Tk, can I use for GUI programming with
> Python?

Yes, wxPython is the only one besides Tkinter that comes to mind right at
the moment, but I know there are several others.

> 6. Is it possible, in Python, send output from a program to a web
> browser directly or in other words display html file in python
> application?

Yes, it would be very easy in Windows. I'm sure it's pretty easy on other
platforms as well, but, once again, I'm not sure.

> 7. Where can I find a available modules list?

That, along with most of these answers are in the docs
(http://python.org/doc/). The docs should be part of your download, also.

> 8. What are best tutorials/books on Python?

There is a real simple tutorial on the website. It will get you familiar
with the syntax pretty quickly.

> 9. Can you give me  examples of large Python application?

They have a list on the website.

> 10. Why do YOU use Python?

It's intuitive.

> 11. Is it possible to to "talk" to java applets via Python?

Uh...I think so. There is Jython, which is Pyhton and Java sewn together.
And you can use Python with asp. So I would imagine this is possible.

Anytime. Just remember: go to http://python.org/ to get even better answers.

--

Volucris (a) hotmail.com
"Eu não falo uma única palavra do português."