Deposing Dictators

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sun Aug 5 19:30:05 EDT 2001

[Tim]
> The meaning of division a program needs depends entirely on
> context.  Any meaning is "wrong" in some programming contexts.

[James Logajan]
> Oops. Talk about scorched earth arguments. Given that, I think you've
> just made it an issue decided by a preponderance of opinion (i.e. a
> vote).

Of course it's opinion, but it's still not open to voting.  On the rare
occasions Guido asks for a vote, it's about matters of opinion he doesn't
care about.  Clear example:  whether to use "i" or "j" to denote an
imaginary literal.  The flames on that were endless, Guido didn't care, he
asked for a vote, a majority picked "j", and that was that.

> Unless you and/or Guido admit to knowledge of all possible programming
> contexts?

No more than you do, apparently <wink>.

> (What harm do you believe befalls Python if nothing is done?)

Read Guido's postings on the topic:  he explained it repeatedly.  I'm not
playing parrot on this issue anymore, and it doesn't matter one whit what
*I* think about it.

he-didn't-ask-me-to-vote-either-ly y'rs  - tim