Deposing Dictators

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Wed Aug 1 19:49:19 EDT 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001 00:32:56 +0100, Robin Becker wrote:
>In article <mailman.996694328.7115.python-list at python.org>, Tim Peters
><tim.one at home.com> writes

>No matter who decided what it seems clear that the decision to go to /
>as float had already been taken long before the flamefest took place.

Pretty much.

>That makes python's development somewhat less than democratic.

Nope; it makes it *other* than democratic.  The way you go on one would
think that was a bad thing; actually, it's not.

>We get the chance to shout, but the DFL has already made the decision. In
>other words we get to take part in the decision making process if our
>views coincide with the dictator's.

No.  We get to use the result of Guido's decision process.  We also get to
provide him feedback for his decisions (if we want to).  At no point do we
get to be part of the decision-making process.  This is just like real
life -- if you want something done right, give ONE competant person the
responsibility and authority to do it.

>At some point the DFL will make a decision that's wrong. I suppose the
>herd will have another group hug and accept it.

Guido's _already_ made a decision that's wrong -- he decided to make "/"
have an ambiguous meaning.  He's now trying to fix his mistake.  Pretty
cool, huh?  So, do you have a better solution than the one he's proposing?

If so, propose it here (and someone will hopefully make a PEP of it).  If
not, let's talk about solutions.  But for goodness' sake, don't waste your
time whining about "democracy".  Especially when "democracy" means
"whiners have veto power over anything."

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley