Python for XML processing (newbie)

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ignacio at openservices.net
Wed Aug 29 02:27:28 EDT 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Karthik Gurumurthy wrote:

> i have a question,
>
> i have written a few xml parsing stuff using python's xml library.
> I c'd get things done easily.
> I w'd greatly appreciate it if someone c'd point out the difference between
> using say a
> java parser like xerces and the one we have in the python library.
> any advantages?? etc?
> if it's about implemnting the same interface w'd ther be any major
> difference?
>
> thanks,
> karthik.

The q+d answer would be "It'd p'ly be faster".

After taking a look at the Xerces 2 homepage, I'd have to say that the next
difference is that Python's XML parser implementation doesn't support JAXP
(Java APIs for XML Processing). Of course, I wouldn't realy consider that a
problem ;)

DOM and SAX are more-or-less standard interfaces, so I'd consider Python and
Xerces (and every other XML parser in any language) to be the same on that
account.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams  <ignacio at openservices.net>