Python version coexistence on WIndows

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Wed Aug 8 15:53:03 EDT 2001

[Tim]
> The Python 2.2a2 Windows distribution should work better for you
> in several respects:
>
> + It has an "Advanced Options" dialog, allowing not to register file
>   extensions at all, and not to create any Start Menu shortcuts.
>
> + Also a "non-admin install" option
>
> + Also a new option to create copies of everything replaced

[Mats Wichmann]
> Sounds neat.  You get all this "for free" with the new installer
> program?

No, but *you* do, and that's what counts (at least to you <wink>).

It actually took days of work to create an installer that ran to completion
on a Win2K box from a vanilla User acct (not Admin, not Power User, just the
bare bones).  That even required replacing some of Wise's code (e.g., its
uninstall setup always wrote the uninstall string under HKLM, but a vanilla
Win2K user isn't allowed to write *anything* there; and hit isomorphic
gotchas over and over).

So, basically, we've got two full installers, duplicated under "if
Admin/else" blocks, with a few additional "if Win2K" warts.  This should be
transparent to you.  The new backup/rollback facilities did come (almost)
for free with Wise 8.14, and work great.  The Install.log is more detailed
than before, and that came for free too.  Everything else was a mere matter
of programming (and hundreds of reboots <wink>).

windows-is-a-high-maintenance-platform-ly y'rs  - tim