pyFlash

Nigel Head nhead at houbits.com
Thu Aug 9 03:56:31 EDT 2001

rnd at onego.ru (Roman Suzi) wrote in
<mailman.997339095.27883.python-list at python.org>:

>On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, MNX tech services wrote:
>
>>Would it make sense to use static Flash 5.0 pages as a browser-based
>>GUI against a Python backend?  Wouldn't it have the advantage of
>>displaying absolutely uniformly across all platforms, along with
>>providing a vast array of widgets?
>
>If you code for the WWW, then it's probably not good idea. Personally I
>avoid flashed sites, .... [snip] ...

And there you have the problem: this comes down (partly) to a marketing
decision -- the community appears to be split between the purists (who have
a good point, given the regular security problems with most forms of client
side scripting) and the rest, who are prepared to accept some of these
client side technologies.

The other part to the equation though is Flash itself: it seems to have
some unfortunate bugs, they only get fixed VERY slowly as well. The list is
longish, some samples -- XML sent with the wrong content type (fixed in
latest player, but how many have upgraded?), GET instead of PUT under some
circumstances (not consistently fixed, AFAIK), Content-type header value
with trailing garbage attached (my latest discovery). And so on...

Given this I'm seriously considering doing some of my work with Jython
generated applets instead -- specifically any form based dialogs needing
client side validation or other forms of smarts. As well, I like to use
XML-RPC and doing that in Flash, although possible, is more painful than it
ought to be. I haven't tried with Jython yet but I figure it ought to be
OK.

Where Flash really can't be beaten is the presentation/graphical/design
type sites ......

Nigel.

BTW (off topic): Anyone played with CURL yet?