newbie-ness upgrade woes

nemir nemirCUTTHIS at
Thu Aug 9 17:29:03 CEST 2001

I hope you can forgive the newbie-ness of all this,  but I have decided to
run with Python as my learn first programming language now that I have been
told to run a redhat apache server.

Lemme give you the rundown:

Installed an out of the box RedHat 7.1 server (WITHOUT a GUI) which comes
with Python 1.5.2.  A little outdated I thought, so I determined that now
the rest of the box is stable I will upgrade.  I go get the Python-
2.1.1.tgz file,  run

tar xfvz Python-2.1.1.tgz

And it all uncompressed great.

I CD to the new Python-2.1.1 directory.

I try to run

python install

as per the instructions on
install.html and it spits back the following error:

  File "", line 57
    extlist = [ext for ext in extlist if == modname]

Same if I try to run python build

And I can't find what to do next anywhere.

Any advice would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks in advance,