Is there any editor support python?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Aug 30 03:26:01 EDT 2001

"Formalin" <formalin14 at email.com.cn> wrote in message
news:9mk80i$hdf$1 at mail.cn99.com...
> Is there any editor support python?

Lots of them!  The great classic, Emacs, has a cool
Python-mode (all instructions about it are on the
www.python.org site, which seems significant:-).  Its
perennial dark-horse rival (and my favourite), VIM,
goes one better by letting you program editor macros
in Python as well as supporting the usual stuff such
as Python syntax colorization, autoindent etc.

But although I use VIM for most of my editing, my
vote as most-amazing-editor goes to SciTE, see
http://www.scintilla.org/.  The most amazing thing
about it is http://www.scintilla.org/Sc1.exe.  It's
just 200K to download (vs a few megabytes for VIM
and many megabytes for Emacs) as a stand-alone
Windows executable -- and that single little .exe
file is a complete editor that knows about umpteen
languages INCLUDING not just colorization, auto-
indent, folding, etc, but ALSO the ability to run
(or compile, etc, depending on the programming
language you're using) the stuff you're editing
in another pane.  The author, Neil Hodgson, and
the dozens of contributors, have really done a
SWELL job!!!  The only thing that doesn't work in
the 200K Sc1.Exe is Help (F1) -- I guess the help
file just didn't fit:-) -- but the whole download
for Windows, http://www.scintilla.org/wscite139.zip,
is just 360K.  Also runs on Linux of course, using
Gtk+ 1.2.*, and you can also get it as RPM's, as
well of course as getting the source code (600K
as .tgz, or 670K as .zip since .zip just doesn't
compress as much as gzip:-).

Sorry, I let enthusiasm carry me away a bit.  There
is Python support in a zillion other editors, too,
of course - free and commercial, cross-platform
and single-platform, huge (Emacs) or tiny (SciTE),
and so on, and so forth.

Alex