know if someone ping me

Alex Martelli aleax at
Thu Aug 23 15:48:50 CEST 2001

"Markus Schaber" <markus at> wrote in message
news:1777401.ESeGDPOM1B at
> Hi,
> noprianto <opennopri at> schrub:
> > How do i know if someone ping my system ?
> Oh, well, "ping" in what sense?
> - CIMP echo request message?
> - ARP "ping" (address request)?
> - IRC Ping?
> - UDP Echo Message (port 7)?
> - TCP  faked package "ping" (provokes a reset)?
> - TCP Keepalive Messages?
> or something else I don't remember?
> And what has this to do with python?

Very little, I guess, at least for ICMP

> And why do you want to know?

Presumably the original poster wants to keep an
eyes on such happenings -- but ICMP Echo Request
doesn't get to applications (including Python
ones) on many apps, but is resolved within the
lower-levels of the TCP/IP stack in many
architectures I know.

Logging any or all such events is quite feasible
with iptables on Linux 2.4.* (and you can also
pass packets to a user-space application, so you
MIGHT be able to use some Python here:-), but I
wouldn't know where to start on any form of
Windows, for example (and I'm supposed to be a
Windows expert:-).